Last revised 29 October 2019
The history, purpose and vision of PathologyOutlines.com
Drs. Ayhan, Andeen, Tretiakova, Gonzalez, Pernick,
Zynger, Martinez-Lago, Elwood and Crane at USCAP 2019
The purpose of this website is to provide useful professional information to practicing Pathologists and laboratory personnel, in 15 seconds or less.
- Access to the website is absolutely free. The website is entirely supported by advertising.
- The website pages are full text searchable, either by using the search features of your browser, or the Search box on our Home page.
- PathologyOutlines.com does not require registration, and does not ask for personal information to gain access to the features of the website. Furthermore, PathologyOutlines.com does not make any personal information available to advertisers, unless visitors ask for contact from specific companies.
- Special attention to text formatting makes the website easy to navigate, using a minimal number of clicks.
Specific features for the Pathologist community
- A regularly updated, comprehensive online textbook of surgical and clinical pathology, with extensive links to images (gross, microscopic, clinical and others), virtual slides and references. Chapters include clinical and surgical pathology topics, as well as separate listings for CD Markers and Immunohistochemical and other Stains. We link only to images that do not require registration to view and to virtual slides that do not require plug-ins. We also prefer references with free full text with no registration / login, which are listed in dark green. Our goal is to update each chapter every 2 years. Newly updated topics are written by the named Author and reviewed by our Deputy Editor and a member of our Editorial Board.
- A list of Pathologist / Ph.D. and other laboratory Job ads, organized by location and subspecialty, with separate lists of recently posted jobs, part-time or locums jobs, Ph.D. jobs and open Pathology residency slots.
- A regularly updated and extensive list of Pathology related Conferences, organized by date, subspecialty, location and organization, with links for further information.
- A regularly updated and extensive list of Pathology related Fellowships, organized by date (for new openings), subspecialty and location, with links for further information.
- A regularly updated and extensive list of Pathology related Books, organized by date posted, publisher, book series and subspecialty, with an author / title search, and a list of top sellers. Some books are also posted on the main page of appropriate textbook chapters.
- Case of the Month emails include a clinical history, images and a short discussion with references. All cases are listed by case number (with and without diagnosis) and by subspecialty (with and without diagnosis).
- Our Industry News page provides announcements about new products and services and other important information of interest to the Pathology community.
- For information about our email blasts (newsletters), here.
- The opportunity to advertise Jobs, Fellowships and Conferences / webinars for a one time, reasonable fee. Rapid postings and excellent customer service are part of the package.
- Inoffensive advertisements from companies providing products and services to the Pathology community.
As a PathologyOutlines.com customer, you should expect nothing less than the best possible service every time you deal with one of us, whether in person, on the telephone, via email or if you are simply a frequent visitor to our website. Our aim is to build a long-term relationship with you. The foundation of this relationship is our Service Commitment - to anticipate and exceed your expectations.
This website, which began in August 2001, is owned and managed by Nat Pernick, M.D., an AP/CP board certified Pathologist. Click here for more information on Dr. Pernick.
PathologyOutlines.com was founded in August 2001 by Nat Pernick, M.D., an AP/CP board certified pathologist who has worked with computers since 1974. Dr. Pernick has both medical and law degrees from the University of Michigan, and completed graduate studies in mathematics at Wayne State University. His medical publications are listed at: PubMed, Google Scholar, ResearchGate, CV.
Dr. Pernick created PathologyOutlines.com based on his belief that medical information should be free and easily accessible. In 2001, PathologyOutlines.com initially consisted of five chapters (Ampulla of Vater, lymphomas/plasma cell neoplasms, pancreas, parathyroid gland, and thyroid gland) (Wayback Machine: PathologyOutlines.com [Accessed 29 November 2001]). Each chapter included several topics on a single webpage, with brief information about each disease (Wayback Machine: PathologyOutlines.com - Ampulla of Vater [Accessed 29 November 2001]). By the end of 2005, there were over 50 chapters written by Dr. Pernick, and chapters had begun to be formally reviewed and updated by outside pathologists (Wayback Machine: PathologyOutlines.com [Accessed 23 December 2005]).
In November 2011, the website began to update its format so that each topic in the 80 chapters would be on a single webpage, rather than including the whole chapter on one page (Wayback Machine: PathologyOutlines.com [Accessed 1 November 2011]). This format made it easier for topics to be written in greater detail and updated regularly. All 6,700+ topics were finished being converted in February 2014, and this is the current format the website uses in 2019.
In November 2012, in an effort to further improve the quality of the content, an Editorial Review Board was put together, consisting of section editors to peer review the content of a specific chapter. In September 2014, the Editorial Review Board evolved into a formal Editorial Board, consisting of members with subspecialty expertise. Members must have worked satisfactorily as an author at PathologyOutlines.com, with preference given to those with fellowship training/certification. As of October 2019, the Editorial Board consists of 19 members.
In December 2014, the website was transferred to a content management system to allow for more uniform pages, better formatting for mobile devices, and a robust topic search capability (Wayback Machine: PathologyOutlines.com [Accessed 20 December 2014]). This initially started with changes to the home page, and the entire site was finished being converted in July 2018.
In February 2018, Debra Zynger, M.D., became the Deputy Editor-in-Chief, and then became PathologyOutlines.com's first Editor-in-Chief in August 2018. Since February 2018, each newly updated topic has been reviewed by the Author, Deputy Editor or Editor-in-Chief, and an Editorial Board member, with some topics additionally reviewed by a Senior Author. This has elevated the standard of each topic to ensure accurate, up-to-date content, thorough research, and a uniform site format.
As of October 2019, there are 486 authors. Authors are staff pathologists who have published at least five non-case report journal articles about their subspecialty in the past 15 years. Fellows, senior residents, and other staff may write for PathologyOutlines.com, provided their work is overseen by a qualified staff pathologist. PathologyOutlines.com continually adds more authors with a goal of reviewing each chapter every two years, especially those written prior to 2018 before the newest standards were set.
As of October 2019, PathologyOutlines.com employs 14 staff members who operate the website in Bingham Farms, MI.