Home Jobs Conferences Fellowships Books Buyers Guide
Laboratory Accreditation / Education / CME
for the most recent Promotions page.
To find resources for CME, Apps and Board Review for Pathology or Laboratory Medicine, click here. You can also find pathology-related webinars by visiting our Webinars page. Remember, if your lab or institution offers free, educational-based CME / Board Review or Webinars, we can post them for FREE by contacting Sara Halladay-Klakulak at 248/646-0325 or email@example.com.
Laboratory Accreditation: The Business of Blood Banking
Jaleh Mansouri, M.D.
Pathology laboratories undergo accreditation every two years and are inspected by
one of several agencies, including the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and
JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations) to ensure
compliance to CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments). Specific clinical
laboratories such as blood banks may also be accredited by other organizations such as
the AABB. The AABB, established as the American Association of Blood Banks in
1947, has defined standards for tests and procedures in blood banking (eg, donor
compatibility, screening blood for infectious disease). These standards are referenced in
the most recent edition (29th) of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services. As
blood bank products fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA (Food and Drug
Administration), blood banks must be registered with this organization and may also be
subject to inspection by FDA officials in a manner similar to pharmaceutical
Compliance to standards for blood banking can apply to laboratories for
specialized blood products. For example, developments in stem cell technology have led
to the establishment of cord blood banks. Both public and private cord blood banks may
be accredited by AABB or FACT (Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy),
although accreditation may be voluntary in some states.
Contact Our Advertisers!
- ARUP Laboratories. Founded in 1984, ARUP Laboratories is a leading national reference laboratory and an enterprise of the University of Utah and its Department of Pathology. ARUP offers more than 3,000 tests and test combinations, ranging from routine screening tests to esoteric molecular and genetic assays. ARUP serves clients across the United States, including many of the nation's top university teaching hospitals and children's hospitals, as well as multihospital groups, major commercial laboratories, military and other government facilities, and major clinics. In addition, ARUP is a worldwide leader in innovative laboratory research and development. For more information, visit www.aruplab.com.
- The American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) is your trusted resource for all of your Maintenance of Certification (MOC) needs. Explore an enormous variety of continuing education resources, including hundreds of SAM credit offerings, a 25-module MOC Part III exam preparation tool, and the only ABP- and ABMS-approved Patient Safety course created for pathologists. With more than 100,000 active members and over 90 years of experience, you can count on ASCP to provide you with the quality resources needed to handle your certification requirements and excel in your career. Visit ascp.org/MOC to see more today.
- Board Vitals is the leading Pathology Question Bank for the boards (AP/CP/MOC). We strongly suggest this question bank as a primary study source - it's over 1,400 questions that can be taken in either review mode or timed mode. Board Vitals also has a higher pass rate than the national average (which was validated by an independent research firm). The benefit of using this type of question bank is exposure to many different concepts in an exam format, instead of the linear thinking of a textbook. Make sure you give yourself at least 2 months to go through all of the questions. The pricing is $129/month.
- College of American Pathologists (CAP). Deepen your core pathology knowledge with CAP's Online Learning Series (CME/SAM-eligible).
- Breast Predictive Factors - gain the practical skills, tools, and techniques needed to ensure testing accuracy as well as
compliance with ASCO-CAP Guidelines for HER2 and ER/PgR testing.
- Immunohistochemistry - learn the specific knowledge and skills that practicing pathologists with current or potential
responsibilities for the IHC laboratory need.
- Pharmacogenomics - provides you with the foundation and latest advances in the integration of diagnostics and
therapeutics through targeted therapies.
- Practice Management - review practical and relevant practice management content supported by real-world activities
- Pulmonary - learn how to incorporate practical everyday tools and expert best practices and apply current pulmonary
Learn more about our Online Learning Series here.
- Educational Symposia. docmedED.com is an on-demand education delivery platform that utilizes state-of-the-art streaming technology to access continuing medical education lectures presented by top educators and speakers in their specialties. Purchase the entire series, or individual lectures, then view at your convenience via computer, tablet, TV - any device with internet access. Lectures can be viewed as often as you like for three years. The platform will bookmark where you left off, allowing you to resume when you return. Take your time and go at your own pace. Purchase, view & download your CME certificate instantly. Create an account to receive one free hour of CME! For more information call (800) 338-5901 or visit us at http://www.docmedED.com.
Past / Future Feature Pages:
December 2014: Grossing Equipment / Workstations
January 2015: Billing / Consulting / Management
February 2015: Microscopes / Microscopy Products
March 2015: Tissue Processors / Other Histology
April 2015: Laboratory Accreditation / Education / CME
May 2015: Computer Software and Systems
June 2015: Diagnostic Testing / Reagents
July 2015: Digital / Imaging / Photography
August 2015: Books & Journals
September 2015: Antibodies / Biomarkers
October 2015: Laboratories
November 2015: Consumable Lab Products / Clinical Lab Analyzers
December 2015: Grossing Equipment / Workstations
Contact Sara Halladay-Klakulak, 248/646-0325, firstname.lastname@example.org to advertise at PathologyOutlines.com, the world's most popular pathology website.
End of Feature Page