Cite this page: Roychowdhury M. OLD trabecular. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/oldtopics/breastmalignantlobulartrabecular.html. Accessed August 7th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Classic lobular carcinoma infiltrating in trabeculae (linear bands) two to four cells thick
- Trabecula - supporting beam of bar, plural is trabeculae
- Trabeculae variant is usually not considered a distinct variant because it overlaps the classic and mixed patterns (Schnitt: Biopsy Interpretation of the Breast, 2nd Edition, 2009)
Electron microscopy description
- Tumor cells are similar to classic lobular carcinoma (J Pathol 1985;145:39)
- Compared to LCIS, tumor cells are more irregular, with more organelles and filaments