Reference Laboratory / Specimen Consultations
Revised: 12 February 2014
Copyright: (c) 2014, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
Krystal Johnson (Client services), (206)-223-2700, [email protected]
General Description / scope of Services
Hematologics, Inc. combines unique expertise in Multidimensional Flow Cytometry Tumor Cell Sorting, Cytogenetics FISH Microarray and Molecular Genetics with a broad understanding of hematopoiesis and clinical knowledge to provide you with the information you need. Our retrospect DNA ArchivingTM service offers a new approach for monitoring your patient for minimal disease and determination of relapse. What distinguishes us from our larger competitors is that we evaluate and treat every sample as an individual. Patient autonomy is extremely important to us, and we give our best effort to provide a clinically useful diagnostic consensus for every patient handled at our laboratory.
Being a small service laboratory, we offer a personal touch that the larger companies find difficult.
- Proactive calls to you on difficult cases
- After-hours number to speak to the evaluator
- Preliminary results available
- Live interaction with employees means no phone tree
- Ability to speak to technical staff regarding questions on appropriate tests to order
Most popular tests performed (as applicable)
Multidimensional Flow Cytometry, Cytogenetics, FISH, Molecular Genetics
Typical turnaround time
Flow Cytometry 24 hours, Cytogenetics averages 3.8 days, FISH 2-5 days, Molecular Genetics most 24-48 hours with sequencing 5-7 days
STAT testing available
PML/RARA same day
Delivery of specimens
Shipping of samples to HematoLogics, Inc. is free of charge through the following options:
- Within a 60 mile radius of Seattle, WA using couriers contracted with HematoLogics, Inc.
- Anywhere in the US via FedEx
- HematoLogics provides shipping materials, requisition forms and pre-printed shipping labels.
How reports are generally provided
- Hematologics, Inc., offers access to your patient specimen results through Hematolinx, a secure internet interface
- Review and compare patient history with current reports
- Optional email notifications as specimen results become available
HematoLogics can bill directly or third party to insurance. Medicare billing is available depending on the patient status and type of test (call for details).
End of Reference Laboratory / Specimen Consultations > Survey > HematoLogics Inc.
- TEAM APPROACH: Our flow cytometry experts, cytogeneticists, hematopathologists and molecular diagnostics experts work together with every specimen, integration of results must start at the beginning to insure the proper testing is done. We confer real-time on findings as they are identified and continue the diagnostic process in a step-wise- finding-driven manner. For you this translates into reduced numbers of irrelevant testing. For the patient, this is personalized diagnostic testing in action.
- FLOW CYTOMETRY: HematoLogics has been performing technical and professional clinical multidimensional flow cytometry services since our 1993 inception. Our approach to hematopathology is based on more than 40 years’ experience beginning with the first flow cytometer developed at Stanford. We utilize a detailed understanding of quantitative gene product expression to detect abnormal cells, not just count increased cell populations. This technique of multidimensional analysis, based on “difference from normal”, allows us to detect residual ALL and AML at levels of 0.02% even without a diagnostic specimen. We are able, unlike most of our competitors, to perform diagnostics on cytopenic patients, to monitor residual disease and to sort multiclonal populations to determine co-relationships. We are currently the Children’s Oncology Group reference laboratory for AML with an FDA cleared technique to detect residual disease. We are world leaders in the use of multidimensional flow cytometry in MDS and participate in the European Leukemia Network. Our approach to flow cytometry is as a primary diagnostic test triggering other supportive testing. Essentially all other laboratories use flow cytometry as a confirmatory test, "phenotyping leukemia and lymphoma".
- CYTOGENETICS: Having worked in the past with a local cytogenetics service, we decided to establish our own laboratory to focus on hematopoietic specimens exclusively. The HematoLogics technical goal is to maximize abnormal cell growth; this results in low culture failure rates and increased detection of pertinent aberrancies. We have integrated an automated microscopy system for both karyotyping and FISH to provide better resolution and quantitative detailed analysis of each specimen. Based on our data, we estimate that we have increased our detection of pertinent cytogenetic abnormalities by 30-50% since bringing this methodology in house. Our FISH panels for MDS include currently identified key predictive markers. FISH analysis for monoclonal plasma cells is performed on plasma cells sorted from bone marrow specimens. Analysis of this concentrated specimen results in identifying plasma-cell specific FISH abnormalities where previously the studies were negative due to the fact that abnormal cells are often present below detection limits. We have recently augmented this analysis with Competitive Genomic Hybridization (CGH) array techniques to further obtain prognostic information about abnormal plasma cells that are notoriously difficult to induce into mitosis for classic karyotyping.
- MOLECULAR DIAGNOSTICS: Our molecular diagnostic testing panel is very broad and our turnaround time is excellent. The team approach mentioned above decreases the amount of shelf/ transport time before initiation of testing and greatly increases the quality of DNA / RNA being used for testing. Other local laboratories send molecular analysis to us. We have created a STAT PML/RARA test that provides confirmation of promyelocytic leukemia within 4 hours. We also routinely sort unique cell populations for confirmation by molecular testing. This has resulted in the redefinition of lymphoplasmacytoid lymphoma as we have shown that in 2/3 of specimens with monoclonal lymphoma and plasma cells, the cell populations are unrelated.
- MORPHOLOGY AND IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY: HematoLogics provides morphologic examination of bone marrow aspirates, biopsies and other tissue specimens by board certified hematopathologists. A full range of immunohistochemical reagents are available to aid in the diagnosis of each case. With the integration of results from flow cytometry, which are available early in the diagnostic algorithm, fewer antibodies are needed for each case, reducing the cost to the patient. In addition, our hematopathologists summarizes the case in a final report, integrating the diagnostic and prognostic information for each full case. Each of the individual reports and summary are available on-line in full color with an email notification of availability in addition to a faxed and/or hard copy mailed to the referring clinician.
- COMMITMENT TO THE PATIENT: Our staff scientists and pathologists are available 24/7 with direct phone contact and cell phone numbers. We process STAT specimens immediately upon receipt even on weekends. Our couriers are dependable with the same commitment to transporting the specimens as we have in processing the specimen. We believe that HematoLogics can dramatically enhance the diagnostic and prognostic information available on your patients in a cost effective manner. We continue to strive to improve our testing, integrate results from the receipt of the specimen and push the technologies to their limits providing better diagnostic and prognostic information for your patients. We believe that we can provide a cost effective approach to the patient needing such hematopathology services.