Cite this page: Massive macronodular adrenal cortical disease. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/adrenalmassivemacronodular.html. Accessed December 2nd, 2016.
Definition / General
- ACTH independent, may involve only a single gland
- Clinically resembles a neoplasm
- Bimodal age distribution: newborns (associated with McCune-Albright syndrome) and age 40+; rarely familial
- Glands up to 180 g together, nodules up to 4 cm and non-nodular cortex may be atrophic
- Clear cells or compact cells