Ampulla of Vater
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 11 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare, present with progressing jaundice
● Aggressive with poor prognosis (Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2008;7:422)
● 55 year old woman with large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma with glandular differentiation (J Clin Pathol 2004;57:1098)
● 73 year old woman with large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma with squamous cell and glandular components (Jpn J Clin Oncol 2011;41:434)
● 74 year old man with small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma with villous adenoma (World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:4709)
● 74 year old with large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:221)
Large cell tumor -
● Islands and trabeculae of large cells with brisk mitotic activity and extensive necrosis
● Cells have more cytoplasm than small cell carcinoma, irregular chromatin, frequent nucleoli
Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
● Large cell tumor - cytokeratin, chromogranin, synaptophysin, neuron-specific enolase
● Small cell carcinoma
● Poorly differentiated carcinoma
End of Ampulla of Vater > Carcinoma > Neuroendocrine carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).