Ampulla of Vater
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 11 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Similar to serrated polyps in colorectum (Hum Pathol 2011;42:1953)
● Rare, occur in second part of duodenum and ampulla
● Usually incidentally detected, mean age 50 yrs
● Uncertain malignant potential
● MUC6 expression in crypt bases
End of Ampulla of Vater > Benign/non-neoplastic > Hyperplastic polyp
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).