Ampulla of Vater
Mixed acinar-endocrine carcinoma
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 11 December 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● May arise in heterotopic pancreatic cells
● Acinar cell carcinoma component is composed of pancreatic acinar cells with zymogen granules on EM
● 47 year old man with neurofibromatosis-1, ampullary somatostatinomas and jejunal gastrointestinal stromal tumor (World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:2761)
● 49 year old woman with neurofibromatosis-1 and mixed endocrine somatostatinoma (JOP 2010;11:64)
● 78 year old man (Hum Pathol 2002;33:449)
● Nests of tumor cells with acinar structures and endocrine immunoreactivity and endocrine granules on EM
● Amylase, trypsin, synaptophysin
Electron microscopy description
● Endocrine and zymogen granules
End of Ampulla of Vater > Carcinoma > Mixed acinar-endocrine carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).