Cite this page: Mansouri J. Crohn's disease. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/appendixcrohn.html. Accessed January 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- Involves appendix in 25% of patients, may simulate acute appendicitis
- Rare to initially or only involve the appendix
- If limited to appendix, consider as granulomatous appendicitis; 90% of these patients do NOT develop disease elsewhere in GI tract
- Diagnostic criteria:
- Granulomas, transmural lymphoid aggregates, fissure-type ulcers
- Yersinia, Mycobacteria or Actinomyces infections