Reviewer: Jaleh Mansouri, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 21 October 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Grossly dilated appendix filled with mucus
● Clinical but not a histologic diagnosis
● Hyperplastic polyp (similar to colonic polyp)
● Mucinous cystadenoma (most common)
● Mucinous cystadenocarcinoma
● Simple mucocele (below)
● Obstruction from endometriosis
● Inspissated mucus (cystic fibrosis)
● Nonneoplastic mucoceles usually 1 cm or less
● Dilatation of lumen by tenacious mucinous secretion
● Thin appendiceal wall
● Dysplastic epithelium in neoplastic lesions, mucin may dissect into wall
End of Appendix > Benign tumors > Mucocele
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).