Reviewer: Jaleh Mansouri, M.D., (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 16 October 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Descriptive term for rare variant of mucocele causing appendiceal dilation due to nonspecific increased intraluminal pressure
● Presents either as acute abdomen or as incidental finding at laparotomy or autopsy
● 32 year old man (Am J Surg Pathol 1988;12:962)
● 37 year old woman (Ann Diagn Pathol 2006;10:166)
● 45 year old man (Case Report Med 2010;2010)
Mucin and globules
● Intraluminal mucinous and pearl-like globules, which may calcify
● Globules composed of faintly eosinophilic laminated mucin surrounding an amorphous core
Alcian blue staining of globules
End of Appendix > Myxoglobulosis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).