Cite this page: Xanthogranulomatous inflammation. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/appendixxanthogranulomatous.html. Accessed March 29th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Considered an unusual healing pattern of appendicitis
- May represent chronic or prolonged inflammatory process
- Prominent histiocytes with clusters of xanthoma-type cells
- 37 year old woman with signs of acute appendicitis (Ultrastruct Pathol 2000;24:33)
- Malakoplakia, Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare infection, Whipple's disease, rarely Crohn’s disease