Reviewer: Jaleh Mansouri, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 20 October 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Considered an unusual healing pattern of appendicitis
● May represent chronic or prolonged inflammatory process
● Prominent histiocytes with clusters of xanthoma-type cells
● 37 year old woman with signs of acute appendicitis
(Ultrastruct Pathol 2000;24:33)
● Malakoplakia, Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare infection, Whipple's disease, rarely Crohn’s disease
End of Appendix > Appendicitis > Xanthogranulomatous inflammation
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).