Reviewers: Dariusz Borys, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 1 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Major cause of dwarfism
● Reduction in chondrocytes at growth plate is due to defect in fibroblastic growth factor receptor 3 gene (FGFR3)
● FGFR3 inhibits cartilage proliferation, and is constitutively active in these patients
● Autosomal dominant, but 80% of cases are new mutations
● Short proximal extremities, normal trunk, enlarged head (bulging forehead, depression of root of nose)
● Normal intramembranous bone formation, so bone cortices seem thickened compared to short bone length
● Normal life, IQ, reproductive status
● Narrow/disorganized zones of proliferation and hypertrophy in growth plates
● Chondrocytes in clusters, not columns
● Base of growth plate has prematurely deposited struts of bone which seal the plate
● Achondroplasia Dwarf Midget
End of Bone > Developmental abnormalities > Achondroplastic dwarfism
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).