Non-neoplastic or metabolic disease
Reviewers: Dariusz Borys, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 7 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Also known as wattle, cervical auricle, persistent branchial cartilage and cervical tab
● Represents abnormal development of embryonic branchial apparatus
● Usually present at birth as asymptomatic skin colored subcutaneous nodules, typically located on lower third of neck
● 3 year old boy in neck (The Internet Journal of Surgery 2007;10(1))
● 6 year old boy in neck (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:e438)
3 year old boy
Cartilage with adjacent hair follicles
End of Bone > Non-neoplastic or metabolic disease > Cartilaginous rest
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).