Cite this page: Chondrosarcoma - general. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/bonechondrosarcoma.html. Accessed December 6th, 2016.
Definition / General
- Malignant cartilage forming tumor that does not produce osteoid
- May arise from osteochondroma
- Third most common bone malignancy after myeloma and osteosarcoma
- Divided into conventional (central, peripheral, juxtacortical / periosteal) and variants (clear cell, dedifferentiation, mesenchymal, myxoid)
- Higher levels of platelet derived growth factor isoform AA and PDGF-alpha receptor are present in chondrosarcomas vs. enchondromas / mature joint cartilage; higher levels also in high grade vs. low grade chondrosarcoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:1520)
Images hosted on PathOut server: