Non-neoplastic or metabolic disease
Reviewers: Dariusz Borys, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 8 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Only 25% have bone disease, usually bone pain
● Presents in young to middle-aged adults with recurring kidney stones, peptic ulcer, nausea, vomiting, weakness, headaches
● Affects entire skeleton, cortical bone more than medullary bone
● Usually detected early, so osteitis fibrosa cystica (severe changes, also called Recklinghausenís disease) is rare
● Skeletal abnormalities with secondary hyperparathyroidism are typically mild
● Parathyroid adenoma of one gland is most common
● Rarely carcinoma or hyperplasia
● Diffuse osteopenia
● Specific pattern for fingers of cortical cutting cones (erosion of tufts of phalanges, subperiosteal cortical resorption, especially on radial side)
● Marked hypercalcemia and hypophosphatemia
● Thin bone cortices, loss of lamina dura around teeth
● Rarely associated with brown tumor of hyperparathyroidism
● Increased osteoclastic activity with tunneling of osteoclasts into bone matrix (dissecting resorption)
● Also marked increase in bone formation and peritrabecular fibrosis
● Myelofibrosis: fibrous tissue diffusely throughout marrow, not around trabeculae
● Paget's disease-acute phase: osteoclasts donít tunnel, have more nuclei, different clinical presentation and laboratory findings
End of Bone > Non-neoplastic or metabolic disease > Hyperparathyroidism
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).