Non-neoplastic or metabolic disease
Reviewers: Dariusz Borys, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 8 June 2012, last major update June 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare genetic disease due to disturbance in synthesis of alkaline phosphatase
● Different disorder than hypophosphatemia
Autosomal recessive form:
● Severe disease in infants, rapidly fatal
Autosomal dominant form:
● May not be identified until adulthood
● May be asymptomatic, although associated with short stature
● Deformity of extremities, rickets-like disorder
● May cause painful periarticular calcification (J Bone Miner Metab 2011 Dec 15 [Epub ahead of print])
● Reduced levels of alkaline phosphatase in blood, bone, intestines, liver, kidney
● Normal serum calcium and phosphorus
● Increased osteoid, irregular epiphyseal cartilage with lengthened chondrocyte columns
● Osteomalacia with increased nonmineralized bone but reduced osteoblasts
End of Bone > Non-neoplastic or metabolic disease > Hypophosphatasia
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).