Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Pernick N Bone marrow cellularity. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/bonemarrowcellularitygeneral.html. Accessed May 29th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Best evaluated on biopsy sections or imprints; particle sections are next best choice
- Aspirate smears may be difficult to evaluate but are accurate (Am J Hematol 1986;22:381, Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1989;32:186)
- Theoretically could use automated hematology analyzer or flow cytometry (Ann Clin Lab Sci 2004;34:307)
- Iliac crest may not be representative if radiotherapy or other local insults
- Varies from 80% (children) to 55% (age 30) to < 50% (age 60+)