Cite this page: Podophyllin toxicity. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/bonemarrowpodophyllin.html. Accessed October 24th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Used as topical treatment of condyloma, although recommended to cease office based use due to toxicities (Sex Transm Infect 2001;77:409)
- A mitotic spindle poison that binds microtubular proteins
- Causes transient leukopenia and thrombocytopenia
- Can also cause coma and death
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Hypocellular marrow with cytoplasmic vacuoles in myeloid precursors and increased mitotic figures (Am J Clin Pathol 1982;77:478)