Cite this page: SAPHO syndrome. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/bonesapho.html. Accessed February 24th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Synovitis, Acne, Pustulosis, Hyperostosis and Osteitis
- Variable and nonspecific histologic findings
- Often peculiar bone lesions of anterior chest wall and pustular dermatoses
- Mean age 35 years, range 5 - 63 years
- Early lesions resemble bacterial osteomyelitis with acute inflammation, edema, prominent periosteal bone formation
- Late lesions have markedly sclerotic bony trabeculae with prominent marrow fibrosis and mild chronic inflammation