Cite this page: Chronic inflammation. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastchronicinflammation.html. Accessed December 12th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Nonspecific finding of chronic inflammatory cells, not part of other inflammatory entities
- Associated with cyst rupture and release of secretions into stroma
- Duct ectasia: also dilated large ducts with fibrous thickening of wall, elastic fibers in wall and foamy macrophages in lumen
- Foreign body reaction: also foreign body giant cells, fat necrosis, calcification, cholesterol clefts
- Lymphocytic mastitis: ill defined lesion of dense intralobular, perilobular and perivascular lymphocytes with lobular atrophy and sclerosis, B cell lymphoepithelial lesions, lymphoid follicles with germinal centers