Cite this page: Yu G. Cytology/Competency Assessment - Male Breast. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastcytcompmalebreast.html. Accessed June 18th, 2019.
Medical knowledge, practice based learning and systems based practice
- Recognize the incidence of gynecomastia in the male population, its clinical presentation and the pathogenic/hormonal basis for its development
- Become familiar with the cytomorphologic features of gynecomastia on FNA, including the possibility of hypercellularity and significant cytologic atypia in this benign lesion
- Cancer of the Male Breast
- Learn the incidence of male breast cancer and its typical clinical presentation
- Become familiar with the cytomorphologic features of breast carcinoma in men, appreciating the fact that the appearance and diagnostic criteria for malignancy are identical to those for women
- Recognize that metastatic lesions may also present as breast masses in men