Cite this page: Breast cancer in children. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastmalignantbreastcancerchildren.html. Accessed August 15th, 2018.
- Rare; incidence of malignant pediatric breast tumors is 0.08 cases per 100K population
- Most common malignant breast lesions in children are metastases (Radiographics 2009;29:907)
- Of primary breast malignancies, carcinomas represent 55% (usually ductal) and sarcomas represent 45% (85% of these are malignant phyllodes tumors, J Surg Res 2008;147:182)
- 7% of childhood carcinoma patients present with metastatic disease compared to 0% of sarcoma patients
- 5 / 10 year survival is 63% / 54% for carcinoma, 90% / 90% for sarcomas
- 13 year old boy with secretory breast cancer (Breast Cancer Res Treat 2012;133:813)