Table of ContentsClinical Features | Case Reports | Micro Description | Micro Images | Cytology Description | Electron Microscopy Description | Differential Diagnosis
Cite this page: Lobular carcinoma - alveolar variant. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastmalignantlobularalveolar.html. Accessed December 9th, 2016.
- 74 year old woman with synchronous classic and alveolar lobular carcinomas (Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:1743)
- Sharply outlined (rounded) groups or nests of 20 or more cells, resembling alveoli, separated by delicate fibrovascular tissue
- May have osteoclast giant cells (Pathologica 1993;85:525)
- Rosette like pattern (Acta Cytol 2000;44:169)
Electron Microscopy Description
- Tumor cells are similar to classic lobular tumors, but nests of cells are surrounded by elongated fibroblasts or myofibroblasts (Ultrastruct Pathol 1986;10:311)