Cite this page: Lobular carcinoma - trabecular variant. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastmalignantlobulartrabecular.html. Accessed June 29th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Classic lobular carcinoma infiltrating in trabeculae (linear bands) two to four cells thick
- Trabecula - supporting beam of bar, plural is trabeculae
- Trabeculae variant is usually not considered a distinct variant because it overlaps the classic and mixed patterns (Schnitt: Biopsy Interpretation of the Breast, 2nd Edition, 2009)
Electron microscopy description
- Tumor cells are similar to classic lobular carcinoma (J Pathol 1985;145:39)
- Compared to LCIS, tumor cells are more irregular, with more organelles and filaments