Breast malignant, males, children
Mixed ductal and lobular carcinoma
Reviewer: Monika Roychowdhury, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 14 October 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2001-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Mixture of ductal carcinoma NOS and lobular carcinoma
● Not part of WHO breast classification
● Age of onset similar to infiltrating ductal carcinoma
● Survival similar to pure ductal or lobular types
● Compared to pure ductal carcinomas, have higher rate of second primary breast cancers (World J Surg Oncol 2010;8:51, Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009;114:243
● Compared to pure lobular carcinomas, have lower rate of synchronous contralateral breast cancer
● 4% of breast carcinomas
● 89% have DCIS, 31% have LCIS
● 41% have positive lymph nodes at diagnosis
● May have higher plasma levels of Soluble human leukocyte antigen s(HLA)-G (Anticancer Res 2012;32:1021)
● Definite features of invasive ductal carcinoma and invasive lobular carcinoma in same tumor
Mixed ductal / lobular tumor
E-cadherin immunostaining of ductal components of tumor
● E-cadherin patterns include no staining (similar to lobular), full staining (similar to ductal) or staining of ductal areas only (Am J Clin Pathol 2001;115:85)
● Tubulolobular carcinoma: typical areas of invasive lobular carcinoma with cords of single file cells, which merge with small round to angulated tubules with minute or undetectable lumina
● Collision of two separate neoplasms
End of Breast malignant, males, children > Carcinoma subtypes > Mixed ductal and lobular carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).