Cite this page: Prognostic factors - Fibrotic focus. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastmalignantprognosisfibrosis.html. Accessed February 24th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Mixture of fibroblasts and collagen fibers that may occupy almost the entire center of an invasive ductal carcinoma, replacing the necrotic central area (see also central acellular subtype)
- May be due to intratumoral hypoxia (Histopathology 2007;51:440), leading to clonal heterogeneity of tumor cells (Mod Pathol 2001;14:325)
- Invasive ductal carcinomas with fibrotic focus have poorer survival than those without (Mod Pathol 2002;15:502, Jpn J Cancer Res 1997;88:590)
- Associated with basal-like subtype, activated wound healing signature and a poor prognosis 76-gene signature (Clin Cancer Res 2008;14:2944)
- Fibrotic focus diameter greater than 8 mm and fibrotic focus fibrosis grade 1 predict distant organ metastasis and bone metastasis in patients with invasive ductal carcinoma who did not receive adjuvant therapy (Hum Pathol 2008;39:681)