Cite this page: Reduction mammaplasty. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastreductionmammaplasty.html. Accessed October 21st, 2017.
Definition / general
- Also spelled mammoplasty
- Common surgical procedure performed for cosmetic purposes or relief of pain
- References: eMedicine: Vertical Bipedicle Breast Reduction
- Must examine tissue carefully since most have some pathologic change, most commonly fibrocystic changes (Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;115:729)
- Carcinomas are present in 0.5 to 4% (usually microscopic), ADH / ALH in 1 - 4% (Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;124:1033), moderate / florid hyperplasia and sclerosing adenosis or papilloma in 10% (Am J Clin Pathol 2003;120:377)
- Frequency of neoplasia increases with the patient's age (Int J Surg Pathol 2008;16:25); increased sampling is recommended in women > 40 years (Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;124:1386)