Cite this page: CD142. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cdmarkerscd142.html. Accessed April 22nd, 2018.
Definition / general
- Aka coagulation Factor III, thromboplastin, tissue factor
- Major initiator of clotting in normal hemostasis and many thrombotic diseases, via complex with factor VIIa
- Also binds zymogen factor VII, the inactive precursor form; once bound, a variety of serine proteases rapidly activate factor VII to VIIa via limited proteolysis
- Normally absent from all cells in direct contact with plasma
Positive staining - normal
- Epidermal keratinocytes, glomerular epithelial cells and various other epithelia, adventitial cells of blood vessels, astrocytes, myocardium, Schwann cells, stromal cells of liver, pancreas, spleen and thyroid