Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 August 2013, last major update February 2002
Copyright: (c) 2002-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
PubMed Search: CD230
- Aka prion protein (“PRotein INfectious agent”)
- Mutations associated with Gerstmann-Straussler disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), familial fatal insomnia, which are neurodegenerative conditions transmissible by inoculation or inherited as autosomal dominant disorders
- Aberrant isoforms can act as an infectious agent in these disorders as well as in kuru and in scrapie in sheep
- Replication (infectivity) occurs as abnormal protein with conformational change recruits cellular prion and converts it into infective form with same conformational change
Positive staining (normal)
- Neurons (nonpathogenic isoform)
End of CD Markers > CD230
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other