Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 August 2013, last major update February 2002
Copyright: (c) 2002-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
PubMed Search: CD242
- Also called intercellular adhesion molecule 4 (ICAM-4), Landsteiner-Wiener (LW) blood group protein
- Discovered with antibody raised in guinea pigs injected with the cells of rhesus monkeys, but Rh designation had already been taken
- Binds to CD11a/CD18, CD11b/CD18 and CD11c/CD18 (Blood 2007;109:802)
- May be critical in erythroblastic island formation, where erythroid progenitors differentiate (Blood 2006;108:2064)
- May be ligand for platelet-activated alpha IIb beta 3 integrin (J Biol Chem 2003;278:4892)
- In sickle cell disease, contributes to red cell-endothelial cell adhesion and vasoocclusion (Transfus Clin Biol 2006;13:44)
- No significant clinical use by pathologists
Positive staining (normal)
End of CD Markers > CD242
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other