Cite this page: Rosa M. Atypical repair. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologyatypicalrepair.html. Accessed October 18th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Part of ASC-US category in Bethesda 2001
- 5% incidence of SIL in one study (Diagn Cytopathol 2005;33:214)
- Few cohesive tissue fragments, uniform nuclei, chromatin with increased chromatin granules, hyperchromasia, prominent nucleoli, scarce mitotic activity
- Liquid based cytology: scattered atypical squamous cells with prominent nucleoli and other evidence of reparative change; also more obvious nuclear pleomorphism, anisonucleosis, nuclear outline irregularities, coarsening of chromatin and focal loss of nuclear polarity (Cancer 2003;99:141)
- Poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma or adenocarcinoma