Clear cell carcinoma
Reviewer: Marilin Rosa, M.D., University of Florida (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 7 June 2011, last major update June 2011
Copyright: (c) 2006-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Recommended to obtain annual cervical and vaginal smears for DES exposed women, even after menopause
(Gynecol Oncol 1999;75:338)
● Related to intrauterine DES exposure
● Not related to high risk HPV (Gynecol Oncol 2011 May 25 [Epub ahead of print])
● FNA shows loose, three dimensional clusters, sheets or dispersed atypical cells; atypical cells are large with abundant, weakly staining cytoplasm, round/oval nuclei with large nucleoli
● Pap stain shows a few tumor cells with clear cytoplasm and distinct cell borders
● Diff-Quik shows tigroid background and basement membrane material (Acta Cytol 2000;44:251)
End of Cervix-cytology > Carcinoma > Clear cell carcinoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).