The Practitioner Should:
- Develop an understanding of the organization and function of the different technical sections of the laboratory processing and diagnosing gynecologic cytology specimens, and to practice cost-effective laboratory utilization and resource allocation that does not compromise quality care
- Develop an understanding of how gynecological cytopathology services and other professional practices affect other health care professionals and organizations managing patients based on results of gynecologic cytopathology reports
- Develop clear understanding of the government regulations for State, CLIA, CAP, JCAHO, HIPPA/patient data security requirements for practice management
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of basic billing requirements (ICD-9 & CPT-codes) and reimbursement policies in compliance with Medicare and Medicaid
- Develop full knowledge of regional and national proficiency standards for cytopathologists and cytotechnologists interpreting gynecologic cytopathology specimens
- Develop an understanding of quality assurance and quality control issues relative to gynecological pathology
- This includes but not limited to:
- Maintenance of ASCUS to SIL ratio
- Histopathologic correlation of HSIL and malignant cases
- Five-year retrospective review of normal gynecologic specimens in patients with a new diagnosis of HSIL
- Using appropriate controls for each test performed; molecular, IHC, in-situ hybridization, etc.
End of Cervix - Cytology > Cytopathology Competency / Milestone Assessment > 14. System Based Practice Monitors
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other