Home Chapter Home Jobs
Normal cells / non-neoplastic findings
Reviewer: Xinmin Zhang, M.D., Temple University (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 14 June 2011, last major update August 2010
Copyright: (c) 2006-2010, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
Definition / General
● Degenerative type changes due to delay in transfer of cells to the slide (air drying artifact), inflammation or atrophy
● More common on conventional than liquid based preparations
● Occasionally called retroplastic change
● Cytoplasm is lost and moth eaten with vacuolization
● Chromatin is clumped, hazy, smudged or indistinct
● Chromatin rim has variable thickness and irregular contours, but no sharp angles of malignancy
Cervix-cytology > Normal cells / non-neoplastic findings > Degeneration
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).