Cite this page: Hasteh F. Florid ectopy. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologyfloridectopy.html. Accessed April 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- When the squamocolumnar junction is located outside the external os, the glandular mucosa in contact with the vagina is called ectopia, ectropion or eversion
- "Florid" signifies that the glandular mucosa is secretory
- Before puberty, the squamocolumnar junction is at the external os
- After puberty, due to hormonal changes, the endocervical mucosa is exposed on the portio vaginalis (red zone)
- The transformation zone is the site of SIL, when present