Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Clinical features | Cytology images | Differential diagnosis
Cite this page: Rosa M. Hyperkeratosis / keratinization. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologyhyperkeratosis.html. Accessed August 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Patches of anucleated squamous cells with irregular, angulated edges
- In one study, criteria for extensive hyperkeratosis was 5+ low power fields on a conventional smear and 3+ low power fields in liquid based preparation
- An abnormal finding; may be associated with malignancy (0 - 2%) or HPV / dysplasia (17 - 22%) (Acta Cytol 2003;47:749, Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002;187:997)
- In cases of extensive keratinization, SIL is difficult to grade (Am J Clin Path 2001;115:80)
- Pathology reports of prominent atypical keratosis should state: SIL, grade cannot be determined due to extensive keratosis