Cite this page: Rosa M. Intermediate squamous cells. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologyintermediatesquamous.html. Accessed October 18th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Predominate in luteal phase
- Presence of nuclear grooves is not associated with inflammation; in smears with neoplastic changes, is associated with HSIL (Acta Cytol 2003;47:421)
- Cytoplasm is polygonal, transparent, basophilic, flat / thin
- Nucleus is about the size of a red blood cell, is vesicular, round / oval; nuclear texture and size is reference for dysplasia
- May see cytolysis / dirty background, Doderlein bacilli