Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Cytology description | Cytology images | Additional references
Cite this page: Rosa M. Lower uterine segment endometrium. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologyloweruterinesegment.html. Accessed December 6th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Associated with use of endocervical brush (pushed too high into cervical os) and postcone biopsies (Diagn Cytopathol 1995;12:263)
- May mimic atypical glandular lesions, endometriosis, HSIL or be considered "inconclusive"
- According to the Bethesda system, does not need to be reported if seen in the absence of exfoliated endometrial cells
- Large groups with gland openings, branched glands, nuclear palisading within fragments (Am J Clin Pathol 1996;106:511)
- Often endometrial stroma and smaller fragments that are densely cellular with nuclear palisading