Normal cells / non-neoplastic findings
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D., PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 24 June 2011, last major update June 2011
Copyright: (c) 2006-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Variant of intermediate cells with boat shape
● Associated with pregnancy or androgenic atrophy, due to progesterone in women (Cancer 2002;96:74), estrogen in men
● Atrophy: parabasal cell predominance without superficial cells
● Estrogenic: superficial cell predominance without parabasal cells
● Ellipsoid (boat shaped) squamous epithelial cells with intracytoplasmic glycogen (golden, refractile, granular), folded edges
End of Cervix-cytology > Normal cells / non-neoplastic findings > Navicular cells
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).