Cite this page: Navicular cells. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cervixcytologynavicularcells.html. Accessed August 17th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Variant of intermediate cells with boat shape
- Associated with pregnancy or androgenic atrophy, due to progesterone in women (Cancer 2002;96:74), estrogen in men
- Atrophy: parabasal cell predominance without superficial cells
- Estrogenic: superficial cell predominance without parabasal cells
- Ellipsoid (boat shaped) squamous epithelial cells with intracytoplasmic glycogen (golden, refractile, granular), folded edges