Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Pernick, N. Cytogenetics - general. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/chromosomestranslocationsgeneral.html. Accessed September 25th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Useful particularly for leukemia, lymphoma, germ cell tumors and soft tissue tumors
- Analysis requires fresh tissue transported in sterile transport medium
- Tissue is disaggregated, cultured, harvested and placed on a slide; chromosomes are spread out, stained with Giemsa and examined
- Interphase cytogenetics: does not require fresh tissue; techniques include chromosome painting (uses chromosome specific probes), use of centromeric probes, use of cosmid probes
- Translocations may be due to aberrant V(D)J recombinase activity in lymphocytes (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:1148)