Table of ContentsPractice Based Learning and Systems Based Practice | Medical Knowledge
Cite this page: Cytology/Competency Assessment - General. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cnscytologycompgeneral.html. Accessed April 30th, 2017.
Practice Based Learning and Systems Based Practice
- Gain an understanding of the utility of cytopathology evaluation of central nervous system (CNS) lesions
- Appreciate the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis
- Anatomic location of lesion within CNS
- Clinical history and presenting signs and symptoms
- Radiologic imaging characteristics
- Appreciate the diagnostic utility of stereotactic guided needle biopsy of CNS lesions, given the procedure's low morbidity and mortality
- Recognize the ability of core needle biopsy to accurately distinguish reactive/inflammatory conditions from neoplastic lesions
- Learn basic technical aspects of stereotactic-guided needle biopsy
- Appreciate the utility of immediate, on-site cytopathologic evaluation of tissue obtained (Interpersonal Comunication)
- Understand proper preparation techniques for immediate cytologic evaluation in order to allow accurate diagnosis while preserving tissue for additional studies (smear techniques, use of appropriate stains)
- Understand proper triaging of specimen based upon initial morphologic impression
- Gain familiarity with the morphologic appearance of normal brain tissue in cytology preparations and stains
- Astrocytes (including reactive astrocytes), oligodendrocytes, normal neuronal cells, choroid plexus, etc.