Cite this page: Yu G. Cytopathology competency assessment - metastatic tumors. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cnscytologycompmettumors.html. Accessed October 22nd, 2019.
Medical knowledge, practice based learning and systems based practice
- Recognize the incidence of CNS metastases in patients with solid tumors
- Recognize the most common primary tumors which may metastasize to the CNS
- Identify typical radiologic findings of metastatic lesions in the CNS
- Recognize typical cytomorphologic features of metastatic lesions and morphologic clues which may allow identification of the primary site (i.e. intracellular pigment in melanoma, vacuolated cytoplasm in renal cell carcinoma)
- Recognize the utility of immunohistochemical staining to confirm the diagnosis of metastases and aid in the determination of the primary site of malignancy