Cite this page: Yu, G.H. Cytopathology competency assessment - metastatic tumors. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cnscytologycompmettumors.html. Accessed September 25th, 2018.
Medical Knowledge, Practice Based Learning and Systems Based Practice
- Recognize the incidence of CNS metastases in patients with solid tumors
- Recognize the most common primary tumors which may metastasize to the CNS
- Identify typical radiologic findings of metastatic lesions in the CNS
- Recognize typical cytomorphologic features of metastatic lesions and morphologic clues which may allow identification of the primary site (i.e. intracellular pigment in melanoma, vacuolated cytoplasm in renal cell carcinoma)
- Recognize the utility of immunohistochemical staining to confirm the diagnosis of metastases and aid in the determination of the primary site of malignancy