Cite this page: Pernick N. Pineal gland tumors - general. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/cnstumorpinealglandtumorsgeneral.html. Accessed October 21st, 2019.
Definition / general
- Up to 1% of adult tumors and 3 - 8% of childhood intracranial tumors
- Most tumors are germinomas (resemble seminoma, radiation sensitive); also other germ cell tumors
- Frozen sections are challenging
- Nonpineal gland specific tumors include astrocytoma, meningioma, metastases, cysts
- Tumors often compress aqueduct of sylvius, causing hydrocephalus and requiring ventriculoperitoneal shunting