Colon non tumor
Bowel preparation associated changes
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 4 May 2013, last major update January 2013
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Reduced intracellular mucin, epithelial apoptosis and sloughing, increase in mitotic figures (Hum Pathol 1998;29:972, Cesk Patol 2011;47:130)
- May have erosion of superficial epithelium, consistent with clinical impression of aphthoid ulcer
- Also increased lymphocytes and neutrophils (Dis Colon Rectum 2006;49:109)
- Patchy mononuclear infiltration in upper part of lamina propria, increased epithelial cell proliferation of individual crypts, basal cryptitis (Cesk Patol 2010;46:37)
- Rarely lamina propria edema or extravasated red blood cells
End of Colon non tumor > Bowel preparation associated changes
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected]
with any questions (click here for other