Cite this page: Gulwani H. Brainerd diarrhea. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/colonbrainerd.html. Accessed October 13th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Chronic watery diarrhea of unknown etiology with acute onset and long duration (Centers for Disease Control, Wikipedia)
- First case in 1983 in Brainerd, Minnesota (USA)
- Similar to epidemic infectious diarrhea, but symptoms usually last 4+ weeks, often years
- Most patients recover within 3 years or less
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Surface epithelial lymphocytosis (similar to lymphocytic colitis) with no architectural distortion, no degenerative changes, no thickened subepithelial collagen (Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:1102)