Colon non tumor
Reviewer: Hanni Gulwani, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 May 2013, last major update February 2013
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Chronic watery diarrhea of unknown etiology with acute onset and long duration (Centers for Disease Control, Wikipedia)
- First case in 1983 in Brainerd, Minnesota (USA)
- Similar to epidemic infectious diarrhea, but symptoms usually last 4+ weeks, often years
- Most patients recover within 3 years or less
- Surface epithelial lymphocytosis (similar to lymphocytic colitis) with no architectural distortion, no degenerative changes, no thickened subepithelial collagen (Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:1102)
End of Colon non tumor > Colitis (non-infectious) > Brainerd diarrhea
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other