Cite this page: Gastroschisis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/colongastroschisis.html. Accessed December 15th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Ventral abdominal wall defect that usually occurs to right of umbilicus (eMedicine)
- Left sided gastroschisis is more common in females and associated with a higher incidence of extraintestinal anomalies compared with right-sided lesions (Am J Surg 2008;195:663)
- Portion of abdominal wall fails to form together, with extrusion of intestines, but NOT through umbilical cord
- Intestines are exposed, not covered by a membranous sac, as in omphalocele
- Associated with intestinal atresia, Hirschsprung's disease
- Incidenceof 0.3-1 per 10,000 births (Surg Clin North Am 2006;86:249)