Endometrial stromal sarcoma of colon
Reviewers: Charanjeet Singh, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 26 March 2012, last major update March 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare complication of endometriosis and unopposed estrogen therapy (Am J Surg Pathol 2000;24:513)
● Uterine primary tumors may also recur in colon (World J Gastroenterol 2005;11:2367, Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2006;27:297)
● Typically no death from disease (J Korean Med Sci 2002;17:412)
● 46 year old woman with tumor in bowel wall and mesentery (Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2005;26:113)
● 53 year old woman with tumor in mesentery (Ginekol Pol 2004;75:150)
● 61 year old woman with portal vein thrombosis (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2001;125:1088)
● Tumor often arises in serosa or bowel wall
● Tongue-like growth of tumor nodules composed of densely packed, plump spindle cells in short fascicles and interspersed with prominent small arterioles
● Tumor cells resemble proliferative endometrium with scanty ill-defined cytoplasm and round or ovoid nuclei with dispersed chromatin
● Often angiolymphatic invasion and perineural invasion despite low grade features
● No / minimal pleomorphism or mitotic figures
● Note: must see normal endometrial tissue to document malignant transformation of endometriosis
Metastatic tumor to colon; PgR+ tumor
● Vimentin, ER, PgR and CD10
● Variable NKI/C3 and weak CD68
● Cytokeratin, EMA, S100, CD34, CD117, desmin and actin (muscle markers may be positive in epithelioid areas, Int J Gynecol Pathol 2002;21:48)
● GIST: CD117+
End of Colon tumor > Mesenchymal tumors > Endometrial stromal sarcoma of colon
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).