Lymphoma and hematopoietic lesions
Hodgkin lymphoma of colon
Reviewers: Charanjeet Singh, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 February 2012, last major update February 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare in colon
● Associated with inflammatory bowel disease (Leuk Lymphoma 2001;42:521), chronic inflammation or chronic immunosuppression; all may cause EBV mediated lymphoproliferation (Am J Surg Pathol 2000;24:66)
● Stringent diagnostic criteria necessary due to rarity of primary disease and possible confusion with secondary spread
● 30 year old woman with presentation as polyp (Clin Colorectal Cancer 2001;1:185)
● 42 year old woman with inflammatory bowel disease (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:1824)
● 62 year old man with acute appendicitis (Clin Transl Oncol 2006;8:450)
● 81 year old man with diverticular disease (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1997;121:528)
● Causing splenic vein obstruction (Indian J Gastroenterol 1994;13:70)
● Discontinuation of immunosuppressive therapy may be helpful
● Transmural involvement of bowel wall, often multifocal, associated with fissuring ulcers and diverticula with abscesses
● Reed-Sternberg cells in background of lymphoid hyperplasia, occasional granulomas
● CD15, CD30, EBER1 and LMP1
● CD45 (LCA)
End of Colon tumor > Lymphoma and hematopoietic lesions > Hodgkin lymphoma of colon
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).