Cite this page: Carcinoma in pouches. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/colonuccarcinomapouches.html. Accessed November 19th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Rare (Colorectal Dis 2004;6:494)
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis may be a risk factor (Dis Colon Rectum 2003;46:770)
- Pouch and peripouch adenocarcinoma can occur in patients without colorectal neoplasia and in those with idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease; they are potentially lethal, and have histomorphologic and molecular features similar to those of UC-associated adenocarcinoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2012;36:1385, Inflamm Bowel Dis 2009;15:295)
- 34 year old man with adenocarcinoma developing in ileal pouch after restorative proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (Int J Colorectal Dis 2006;21:478)
- Multifocal pouch body adenocarcinoma following ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) for ulcerative colitis (Inflamm Bowel Dis 2011;17:E96)